On April 24th, 2015 the first Apple watch was released to the world. It took three years for Apple to create their first Apple Watch smartwatch. It was such an innovative product at the time, and still remains so today.
In this blog post we’ll learn when was the first Apple Watch released, what was the very first Apple Watch, how much did the first Apple watch cost, and what can a 1st generation Apple watch do?
We’ll find out what made the first Apple Watch so special.
First Apple Watch FAQ
- When was the first Apple watch released?
- What was the very first Apple Watch?
- What can a 1st Generation Apple watch do?
- What did the 1st Generation Apple Watch look like?
- What size was the 1st Generation Apple Watch?
- How much did the first Apple Watch cost?
- Pros and Cons of the first Apple Watch
- How did the world react to the first Apple Watch?
- Is Apple Watch Series 0 obsolete?
- Does Apple Watch 1st Generation still work?
- Can the 1st Generation Apple Watch be updated?
- How do I pair my 1st Generation Apple Watch?
1. When was the first Apple Watch released?
The first Apple Watch was officially released on April 24th, 2015. Yet, pre-orders for the first Apple Watch began on April 10th, 2015.
Around the world Apple fans queued overnight just to get their hands on this new and innovative wearable technology.
However Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, presented the Apple Watch at a special event in Cupertino, California on September 9th, 2014. At this event the Apple Watch was unveiled after the new iPhone 6.
You can watch the presentation Tim Cook gave of the very first Apple Watch in the video from the 2014 event below.
It had taken three years to create this innovative new product from Apple. They used all their resources to make sure that when the first Apple Watch was released it would be seen as one of the best smartwatches to date.
2. What was the very first Apple Watch?
The very first Apple Watch was referred to as the Apple Watch 1st Generation, or the Apple Watch Series 0.
3. What can a 1st Generation Apple Watch do?
The 1st Generation Apple Watch had several groundbreaking features when it first came out. Apple said that their first Apple Watch was their most personal device ever.
The main features of the first Apple Watch were:
- Bluetooth connection to the iPhone.
- Digital Touch technology, so your new Apple Watch could send a sketch, a voice note and more to one of your contacts.
- Integration with other Apple technologies like Apple Pay, so you could pay for things with the watch. Or Apple Watch TV, so you could control your Apple TV with your smartwatch.
- Fitness tracking through connecting the Apple’s Activity app, that paired with the watch’s heart sensor and GPS tracking. This watch was ideal for those who wanted a smartwatch to track their fitness with.
4. What did the 1st Generation Apple Watch look like?
The 1st Generation Apple Watch was available in three collections:
- Apple Watch
- Apple Watch Sport
- Apple Watch Edition
All three of the first Apple Watch collections had a rectangular case with rounded corners. The display of the watch was protected by sapphire crystal. Sapphire crystal is the most scratch resistant crystal and is used by all of the world’s luxury watch brands.
The watch’s case was either made from stainless steel or 18-carat rose or yellow gold, depending on the model you chose.
The first Apple Watch came with a choice of watch bands and clasps. From leather, Milanese stainless steel, and also Apple’s elastomer sport’s watch band. Many of their bands came with magnetic energy to help keep them secure to your wrist.
5. What size was the 1st Generation Apple Watch?
The first Apple Watch came out in two sizes – 38mm and 42mm.
6. How much did the first Apple Watch cost?
The first Apple Watch cost $349 for the 38mm, and $399 for the 42mm, when it was released.
7. Pros and Cons of the first Apple Watch
Some pros of the first generation Apple Watch include:
- Easy to use interface that is also clear and simple, with a handy digital crown
- Lots of customization options so you can choose what matters most to you for your own personal needs. Just like an Apple iPhone.
- Fitness tracking with heart rate sensor, and GPS tracking
- Apple Watch allows you to integrate with other technologies, such as Apple Pay or Apple TV.
Some cons of the first generation Apple Watch include:
- Limited number of apps were compatible with the first Apple Watch when it came out. Today that has changed for Apple Watches.
- The battery life of Apple Watches were always the main complaint. With up to 18 hours being the standard full charge of these smartwatch devices, even today.
- Only compatible with the iPhone, so you need one instead of an Android smartphone.
- Apple Watches can be very distracting, and their notifications can keep interrupting your workflow and your everyday life.
8. How did the world react to the first Apple Watch?
The world reacted to the first Apple Watch with mixed reviews. Many of Apple’s fans loved it, and queued overnight to get their hands on this new smartwatch.
While some Apple fans didn’t see any need for a smartwatch when they already had their phones on them all of the time.
However the success of Apple’s first smartwatch did spark the further growth of the smartwatch industry. Now most modern smartwatches today act as smartphones that can be attached to your wrist.
Even Swiss made smartwatches are becoming popular today, check out our review of the top Swiss smartwatches.
The smartwatch industry has grown year on year since the release of the first Apple Watch in 2015. Today the smartwatch market is projected to be worth over $96 billion by 2027.
9. Is Apple Watch Series 0 obsolete?
The first Apple Watch Series 0 is not a completely obsolete device, you can still find pre-owned original Apple Watches for sale.
However, the first Apple watch has been discontinued since 2016. Apple has released many newer versions of the Apple Watch since then.
Today you can purchase renewed and new Apple Watches on Amazon.
10. Does Apple Watch 1st Generation still work?
Yes, the first Apple Watch still works. However, the first Apple Watch Gen 1 has been discontinued since 2016.
So while the first Apple Watch still works if you’re looking for an Apple Watch it’s best to buy one of the latest models in order to get the best performance.
11. Can the 1st Generation Apple Watch be updated?
Yes, the first Apple Watch can be updated. However, when you update to the latest software it’s possible that your watch will no longer work with some of its old features like GPS and heart rate monitoring.
12. How do I pair my 1st Generation Apple Watch?
To pair your 1st generation Apple Watch, go to Settings on the watch then scroll down and select “Bluetooth.” The watch then will search for any devices in the area.
You can then select your watch from the list and tap on it to pair with that device.
Apple’s first smartwatch, the Apple Watch Series 0, is still regarded as a defining moment in smartwatch history.
From the first Apple Watch release in 2015, Apple continues to release new Apple Watch series each year. With the latest Apple Watch released in September 2021.
Check out more defining smartwatch moments leading up to the first Apple Watch in our guide on smartwatches.